• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dealer obligations after clerical error on contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

50Cal

If a dealer made an error on the car sales contract like type in the incorrect VIN for the new car or the trade-in vehicle and the error gets discovered later, are they not obligated to issue the car buyer a corrected copy of the contract indicating the correct VIN number?

...or even if after the error like that is discovered can the dealer just say "too bad, so sad. A deal is a deal", then refuse to re-issue the vehicle purchaser a new copy of the contract with the corrected VIN? I'm new to all this legalities on car sales so just seeking some insight. I thank you all in advance for your help.

Mass_Shyster

This is very state specific. If it happened in Mass, you can certainly demand a correction under General Laws, Chapter 93A (Consumer Protection Laws). I'm not going to spell it all out, since I have no idea if this happened in Mass or not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">