• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

dealer sold car without title

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wickedsweet

Florida

I purchased a used car from a large dealership for cash. Drove off the lot with a tag on the car and paper reg with my name.
I attempted to renew reg one year later and am told by the state that the car is not registered or titled to anyone at all in the state. after 2 months of runaround from dealer I am still using temp tags they keep sending me and now they are telling me that there is some issue with the previous title owner. If they had never obtained a title, how could they legally sell me the car? DO I Have a case?

wickedsweet

it was registered at the dealership. I drove off the lot with a license plate and a florida registration in my name. The DMV said it had been registered in my name for about 2 weeks, but that it had been cancelled because the title paperwork never cleared the state. Florida has all paperless titles now as well, so I never thought to question it.

wickedsweet

I think Ya'll are not understanding the issue. The dealer is saying they cannot get the title from new Jersey. They don't have an e title or a paper title.. there is no title...

xylene

At this point you need a lawyer if the deal won't rescind the sale and give you a 100% refund and take the car off your hands.

I would also expect to be repaid for all fees and taxes paid to the state.

justalayman

I think Ya'll are not understanding the issue. The dealer is saying they cannot get the title from new Jersey. They don't have an e title or a paper title.. there is no title...
That is why somebody suggested a bonded title.

While you likely have some action against the seller, they fact you delayed this long could affect the outcome. Your delay may have caused harm to the dealer and as such, it may not be as simple as rescinding the sale. Along with that, again becaus of the delay you caused, you may be required to pay use fees for the time you used the car.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">