• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dealership sold me wrecked car??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

O

oldsmochick

Hi. I purchased a car from a dealership a little less than a year and a half ago. I was told that the car had been repainted because it had had hail damage, however, the door is very scratched and bondo-ed up. I have a thought that the car could have been wrecked. Is there any possible way to find out if it has and what rights do I have to tell the dealership that I "know" the car has been wrecked. Thank you for any help. I have until November 4, 2000 to get this matter solved.

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

Why Nov 4? Is that when you figured out the statute of limitations runs? Because usually it is a 1 year statute of limitations.

Hmm, did you purchase the car new or used? As is or with a warranty?

You need to put as much detail as you can, including your state, so someone on this board can help you.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face=" Arial, Verdana, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by oldsmochick:
Hi. I purchased a car from a dealership a little less than a year and a half ago. I was told that the car had been repainted because it had had hail damage, however, the door is very scratched and bondo-ed up. I have a thought that the car could have been wrecked. Is there any possible way to find out if it has and what rights do I have to tell the dealership that I "know" the car has been wrecked. Thank you for any help. I have until November 4, 2000 to get this matter solved.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

First of all, if you failed to have the car inspected by your own mechanic prior to signing the contract, then it's your responsibility now. If the prior condition is not written in the contract, oral representations are not actionable.

However, for your own edification, using a cloth (so you won't damage the paint), put a magnet in the cloth and run the magnet along the body. Wherever the magnet fails to "stick", is where the bondo is located. You can then find the extent of any prior damage.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">