• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dealing with a debt that occured while a minor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vollbree88

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee but occurred in Pennsylvania

In 2005, I attended a university at the age of 17 years old. A month and a half in, I had to withdraw due to family circumstances. As I was checking my credit report today, I noticed that I have a debt of $5,000 due to the university. Now, I have no debt other than this debt and was thrown back by it as I have kept on top of all payments and two months ago paid off my car. Needless to say, the debt has severely affected my credit score. Being that I am still in college (though at a different university), I don't have $5,000 to throw around.

Now, on my credit report, it states that one or more item on my report appears to have occurred while I was a minor. The debt occurred in 2005 and I did not turn 18 until mid-2006. My father says that if I explain the situation to the collectors that they will then go after him for the money as he was my guardian as legally they cannot go after me.

So my main question is... Is it legal for debt collector to go after me for a debt that occurred while I was a minor? Are the circumstances different because it is a school debt? If not, what actions should be taken to resolve this?

Thank you.

jsmith416

Do you not intend to pay the institution for the classes you took? If not, why not?

In other words are you looking for advice on how best to pay this off and get your credit in better standing or how to shirk it?

racer72

Even though the debt was incurred while a minor, the day you turned 18 you became legally liable for the debt. The only way for a minor to rescind a contract is to return the other party to their precontractual position. In your case, you could have paid for the services you received up to the point you left the school, you would not have been liable for the full debt obligation. This must occur before one turns 18. Your chance to rescind any contractual obligations has long since passed. Also, you father cannot be held liable for this debt, it's all yours.

vollbree88

You people like to assume the worst of people... don't you?

I'm not trying to "get out of it" I'm just trying to know MY rights (if any)... Is that too much to ask? I didn't attend classes for more than a month... However, I do understand that SOMETIMES full tuition is due even after withdrawing. However, I just don't see how I am liable for something that all occurred before I was 18 and that I never signed a contract for. I'm just trying to understand how someone could be liable for a $5,000 debt that occurred before they were of legal age. Not to mention, my credit report points out the fact that "one or more item might have occurred before the legal age"...

Just want to know the laws... don't need hasty answers. You guys sure do get your jollies from pissing people off :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Antigone*

You people like to assume the worst of people... don't you?

I'm not trying to "get out of it" I'm just trying to know MY rights (if any)... Is that too much to ask? I didn't attend classes for more than a month... However, I do understand that SOMETIMES full tuition is due even after withdrawing. However, I just don't see how I am liable for something that all occurred before I was 18 and that I never signed a contract for. I'm just trying to understand how someone could be liable for a $5,000 debt that occurred before they were of legal age. Not to mention, my credit report points out the fact that "one or more item might have occurred before the legal age"...

Just want to know the laws... don't need hasty answers. You guys sure do get your jollies from pissing people off :rolleyes:
Well, with that sweet attitude, I'd say you can pay for your advice now.:cool:

racer72

However, I just don't see how I am liable for something that all occurred before I was 18 and that I never signed a contract for.
Someone signed something for you to attend school.

I'm just trying to understand how someone could be liable for a $5,000 debt that occurred before they were of legal age.
This is a fallacy lots of folks believe. Minors can enter into legal contracts, it's a bit easier for them to get out of them. But as I stated, when one turns 18, the magic "get out of debt free" card is gone and that person becomes liable for any debts incurred before they turned 18.

Not to mention, my credit report points out the fact that "one or more item might have occurred before the legal age"...
That does not mean you are not liable for the debt.

Just want to know the laws... don't need hasty answers. You guys sure do get your jollies from pissing people off
As stated many other times in these forums, we can only give legally factual advice, we can't perform miracles. We are truly sorry you did not get the answer you wanted. If you like, you can now go pay an attorney and get the same answers. They get paid to put up with jerks like you, we don't.

Last edited:

jsmith416

And you seem to get your jollies from trying to figure out how not to pay for educational expenses you agreed to while countless people faithfully make their student loan payments each month. Why else would you be asking the question? An honorable person would be at least attempting to meet their financial obligations.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">