• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dealing with cellphone insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

potsnpea

Car held hostage in Tow yard

What is the name of your state? California

I just recently ran into some bad luck. My car was stolen along with my cell phone and drivers liscence. I've been trying to get my car back and have been having problems. My car is registered under my mother's name. Actually it's registered under my father's name. My mother and my father were married for 30 something years and my father died about 7 years ago. Since his death my mother has been letting me use my father's car on and off since she has two cars. Her car and my father's car. She went to DMV sometime ago and was going to put the car in her name but DMV told her it was not necessary unless she was going to sell the car or she could do it when she sold the car. Since she has not sold the car the car is technically in my father's name. She pays insurance for the car and registers it and owns it like it was hers. The car was recently stolen in my driveway. They recovered the car on the side of freeway and put it in a towing yard. We went to get the car out of the towing yard today and the towing yard refuse to relenquish the car to my mother because she is not on the registration. She shares his last name his address and has an insurance card with her name on the cars insurance card. The towing yard insisted they would not turn it over for fear my father could sue them for turning his property over to my mother. Can they do this? Also we showed up around 12:45 and the woman working in the front office said she did not have authorization to make a decision to turn the car over. She ended up calling the boss who was at lunch. He was saying no over the phone. My mother asked if she could talk to the owner herself. The lady told her no because she did not want to bother him while he was at lunch. When the owner got back he did not awknowledge us and we waited even passed the time he got back. I was told that as a customer a person has the right to speak to a supervisor and if you are denied the opportunity that it was grounds for a lawsuit. (probably not worth the time but is that true.) The owner said he knew we wanted to talk to him but that he has nothing to say to us and didn't care to discuss the matter. So my mother and went to DMV to get the records changed not knowing if we would be able to get the registration changed by closing time 4:00. As it turned out DMV was closed. They close now one day of the month and lucky us this was the day. Now we owe for another day. My mother suspects they are giving us this run around so that we will have to pay for more days. She stated this to the owner at one point and he did not decline that accusation. Do we have any legal recourse. My mother does not want to make an insurance claim and was just going to pay out of pocket for the car since it was only gone for a day and supposedly no real damage has been done to the car. She doesn't like to put points on her insurance. I feel bad for the whole situation and feel very harrassed. I'd love some feedback as to wether or not there is anyway we can stand up for our rights. Or do we have any?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">