• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dear Lana - Expired C1-D and Marriage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state? FL

Lana -

I have a friend that entered the US in 1999 on a C1-D (from Thailand). She has recenly found a US citizen that she would like to marry. I am attempting to research whether my friend would be eligible to marry in any state in light of her expired C1-D status.

I've consulted with a couple immigration attorneys and received conflicting information. One attorney said that it would be possible, but my friend would need to leave the country and re-enter. I know of two of two other recent situations where an immigrant with an expired C1-D was able to get married to a citizen (NV and NC) wihout leaving the country.

Any information you could provide would be so greatly appreciated.
Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential