• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Death and a credit card issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sirrob28

Hello everyone I have a question from upstate NY. My father recently passed away 2 weeks ago. I have the Power of Attorney and the Executor of his estate. My name had been put on everything before he died,or so thought. Right before he died he told me to use his Discover card to pay for his funeral cost and any other cost that might be needed such has food,rental trucks,and dumpsters for the estate. He also said that when he did the life insurance he made sure there was extra to pay off the card when it comes then I can close it out( i have 2 siblings also in the life insurance policy). Well holy crap come to find out I don't think I was an authorized user, either he forgot or something because I called Discover and the card is in the probate dept. This means I used the card illegally. I am really hoping that the check comes tomorrow so I can get them paid off. What should I do or expect?? police at my front door or something?? Need some good advice on this one.

JETX

Hello everyone I have a question from upstate NY. My father recently passed away 2 weeks ago. I have the Power of Attorney and the Executor of his estate. My name had been put on everything before he died,or so thought. Right before he died he told me to use his Discover card to pay for his funeral cost and any other cost that might be needed such has food,rental trucks,and dumpsters for the estate. He also said that when he did the life insurance he made sure there was extra to pay off the card when it comes then I can close it out( i have 2 siblings also in the life insurance policy). Well holy crap come to find out I don't think I was an authorized user, either he forgot or something because I called Discover and the card is in the probate dept. This means I used the card illegally. I am really hoping that the check comes tomorrow so I can get them paid off. What should I do or expect?? police at my front door or something?? Need some good advice on this one.
You're the executor of his estate... and clearly have NO idea what your obligations and responsibilities are. I strongly suggest you get with a good local probate attorney and do this right. You could be liable for lots of problems if you don't.

FlyingRon

JETX is right, but as long as Discover gets paid off by the estate I doubt they are going to get upset. Now if you charged all the funeral charges and left them trying to collect from a destitute estate they might see things differently.

Are you really the executor (i.e., have been named such by the court)?
You do know your power of attorney ended upon your father's death, right?
You also know that by getting your name added to these obligations might have exposed you to responsibility beyond what his estate is able to pay?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">