• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

death and what to do? in NJ

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? we live in nebraska but the family member who died lived in New Jersey.

my husbands brother died with no will. the ex-wife was benficiary to the life insurance and the daughter said she didn't want anything to do with her father's belongings. my husband wants to take over the personal property of his brother but doesn't know how to start doing that. the brother lived in new jersey and we live in nebraska. what should my husband do or how should he start. feel free to email advice. thank you.

Dandy Don

Senior Member
If brother can not afford to make a trip back to New Jersey or if it would be inconvenient for him to do so at this time, he can hire a probate attorney to be administrator of the estate. If brother can afford to go back at this time, then HE can file papers to be administrator. Soon after he files, he will receive legal papers from the court (called letters testamentary) that give him the legal authority to start claiming all of the decedent's assets. Even if the estate is worth little or nothing, he at least needs to file to become administrator, since that is the only way he will get legal authority to start claiming property.

At least try to find out where your brother did his banking so you can find out if there is any money left in his account, or ask the ex-wife if she knows about any other financial assets that the husband had. Or hire a private investigator (in the same city/county where the brother lived) to get a credit report/financial background check done (for about $100).


Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential