• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Death of citizen abroad

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Smessy

What is the name of your state? Arizona

My dad died in Mexico. No will. On the Report of Death of an American Citizen Abroad form, there is a section titled "Person or official responsible for custody of effects and accounting therefore" and my grandmother is listed. Does this mean any (unclaimed) property in his name would go to her? Or would it go to next of kin (my siblings and myself)?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'm sorry for your loss.

That sounds more like it would be how you notify the government about who would be the legal representative of your dad's estate.

Smessy

Thank you. It was 13 years ago. My sister recently found "unclaimed property" with the DOR. Would we be the legal heirs, or would it go to my grandma, according to this record of death?

Zigner

Thank you. It was 13 years ago. My sister recently found "unclaimed property" with the DOR. Would we be the legal heirs, or would it go to my grandma, according to this record of death?
Probate may need to be reopened for this.

Smessy

Does that mean I should contact a probate lawyer? I was a kid when he died and I don't know how the rest of his estate was handled.

Zigner

Does that mean I should contact a probate lawyer? I was a kid when he died and I don't know how the rest of his estate was handled.
If the value of this property is enough, then yes, you would be wise to speak to an attorney.

Smessy

Thank you for your help. We're really unsure how to proceed. Would the DOR give us that information? We only learned out the property from missingmoney.com, so we don't have a lot to go on.

Zigner

Thank you for your help. We're really unsure how to proceed. Would the DOR give us that information? We only learned out the property from missingmoney.com, so we don't have a lot to go on.
The DOR and/or missingmoney.com should be able to tell you the nature of the property. Please remember that "property" doesn't necessarily mean a house, building, real-estate, etc. It could simply be a $10 payout from some class-action lawsuit, or even money that was sitting in a savings account somewhere, no matter what the amount.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">