• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Death of one of the title holders

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DavidCB

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? NY

I own a home. It is in my and my mothers name. There are two other siblings. There is no Will for my mother. If she happens to pass away unexpectedly, do I hold 100 % ownership of the home? And if so, can the state make any claims.

Also, as far as any other property (furniture, jewelry, paintings) were does that fit into the situation. Can one of her siblings (my Aunts) make a claim to the said property due the fact there is no Will, and if so can I prevent them from doing so.

My main concern is in protecting the home it self, there is a small mortgage but a lot of equity.

Thanks in advance

pojo2

Is the loan in your name as well? If not at her passing the Mortgage will have to be paid off or you will need to see if they will allow you to assume her loan. That is part of her debts secured by property.

Deaths make sharks out of relatives, why can't she make out a Will leaving everything to you if that is truly her wishes?

DavidCB

pojo2 said:
Is the loan in your name as well? If not at her passing the Mortgage will have to be paid off or you will need to see if they will allow you to assume her loan. That is part of her debts secured by property.

Deaths make sharks out of relatives, why can't she make out a Will leaving everything to you if that is truly her wishes?
Yes, the loan is in my name and I make the payments. As far as the Will issue goes. She has cancer, and refuses to even think about loosing the fight right now, so the Will subject has been a trick matter, although it would be best I know. She trusts me to do the right thing, which I will do and I totaly trust my siblings, but her 3 sisters I do not trust, they are sharks (great whites if you get my drift) and my concern is protecting my self against them.

Thanks,

David

BlondiePB

DavidCB said:
Yes, the loan is in my name and I make the payments. As far as the Will issue goes. She has cancer, and refuses to even think about loosing the fight right now, so the Will subject has been a trick matter, although it would be best I know. She trusts me to do the right thing, which I will do and I totaly trust my siblings, but her 3 sisters I do not trust, they are sharks (great whites if you get my drift) and my concern is protecting my self against them.

Thanks,

David
David, does the deed to the house have you and mom's names with Joint Tenants With Rights of Survivorship?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">