• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Death Threat - Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

raptorspike

What is the name of your state (Illinois)?

I had a question regarding the laws pertaining to death threats. A couple years ago, in college, my roommate threatened to end my life because he thought I was making a pass at his girlfriend (who I introduced him to). Before you ask, I sincerely believe that this was a real threat. THis wasn't like telling your younger sibling "i'm going to kill you if you take my CD again", this was "if I had a gun, I'd shoot him in the f***ing face" (direct quote). I had a printout of the public blog posting from him. My question is, could there have been any legal action brought against him? I don't intend to do so, but should it occur again for any reason....

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (Illinois)?

I had a question regarding the laws pertaining to death threats. A couple years ago, in college, my roommate threatened to end my life because he thought I was making a pass at his girlfriend (who I introduced him to). Before you ask, I sincerely believe that this was a real threat. THis wasn't like telling your younger sibling "i'm going to kill you if you take my CD again", this was "if I had a gun, I'd shoot him in the f***ing face" (direct quote). I had a printout of the public blog posting from him. My question is, could there have been any legal action brought against him? I don't intend to do so, but should it occur again for any reason....
A couple of years ago:confused: and you're worried about it now because...

do you have plans to hit on his girlfriend again?

quincy

Yes, it is illegal in Illinois, and elsewhere, to threaten someone with death.

You could have obtained an order of protection, which would have ordered this guy to stay away from you and to refrain from contacting you. Should he have violated the order, he could have been arrested.

With an arrest on a PPO order, the court can order that an assessment be made as to how much of a danger this person is to the victim. If he is assessed to be a danger, electronic surveillance can now be ordered.

Hopefully you are choosing your roommates more carefully now.

raptorspike

Wirelessany1 - I worried about it then. I did what I thought at the time was the proper response. And I don't plan on doing it again. But should I ever run into her again, this guy could consider that hitting on (he presented all the signs of being a sociopath).

quincy - I was thinking that it was something along those lines. Unfortunately, the school probably would have had an issue with me settling this with outside forces.

quincy

raptorspike, I do not believe any college would take issue with a student obtaining an order of protection against another student, should a restraining order help to protect the safety of the student.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">