• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Death

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tlhicks69

My partner and I have been together 10+ years. We never officially married because we both had a terrible divorce. He passed away unexpectedly on 10/22. He had no will. He has 3 adult children from 2 previous marriages, they have basically cleaned out the home we have shared without asking or consideration to me or my contribution to our family. I've now received a demand from his older brother to pay back $$ that I used before his death while his was in the hospital. Am I responsible for doing that? He has no will or life insurance. He calls me b his wife, has for years. And we conducted ourselves as a married couple. They all know that and all had been fine with it. My life is shattered, I'm having to leave our home (rented) while they just go in and out of our home with me there or more often when I'm not

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Unless you formed a "common law" marriage while living in a state that recognizes it and then moved to MD, you were not considered married.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">