• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Debt claim filed after estate settled - California

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KathyCA

My husband died earlier this year and I recently finished settling his estate except for income taxes. Now his boss is saying that he borrowed $10,000 from the company and it needs to be paid back. Shouldn't this claim have been filed before the estate closed? Am I responsible for this debt or should it be shared by all of his heirs?

Dandy Don

Was a notice of publication placed in a local newspaper in regards to this estate, asking for creditors to submit their bills for payment?

What state is this in?

What month and year did the estate close?

Does he have any documentation to support his claim about this loan?

Did your husband not tell you any information about this loan or for what purpose he would be spending the money on?

LdiJ

My husband died earlier this year and I recently finished settling his estate except for income taxes. Now his boss is saying that he borrowed $10,000 from the company and it needs to be paid back. Shouldn't this claim have been filed before the estate closed? Am I responsible for this debt or should it be shared by all of his heirs?
The debt (if the claim is valid) should have been paid for by the estate before any of the assets were distributed. Therefore all of his heirs that would have received distributions from his estate would have indirectly shared in the cost.

However since you are located in a community property state, you could possibly be personally liable. Again, if its valid. When did your husband pass away?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">