• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

debt collection issues

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? nevada

some time back my father gave my brother permission to use his credit card. my brother proceeded to ring up and huge bill and kept intercepting the mail so my father was unaware of the level of debt. my brother continued to make the monthly payments until he lost his job. at that point the debt escalated. it first came to my attention when i purchased a house with my parents (i am the primary on the residence) and i saw a copy of my father's credit report. my father, living on social security, was aghast. he has no intention of paying this debt and my brother can't as well. the first of 2 accounts has now gone to collections and we are getting multiple phone calls from people who ask for JAY. apparently the card was issues in JAY's name, but there is no JAY. i think my brother may have called identified himself as my father and obtained a card in the name of JAY. i am stepping in now because i am concerned about my father mental well being. this issue is stressing him out and me inturn. do we have any recourse? is bankruptcy our only option? my father has never neglected his own responsibilities but he does not want to pay for my brother irresponsibility. is there anything we can do. thanks for your time sincerely, barry


Senior Member
Q1) "do we have any recourse?"
A1) We?? No. But your father does. He might be able to file for bankruptcy (that could affect your 'joint' property). Simply, he is responsible for any card charges made to his card. If your brother got a card (or cards) fraudulently in his name, have your father stop by the police station and file a criminal charge against your brother. Then, send a copy of the criminal filing to those cards that he got fraudulently and they will investigate and possibly remove them from your fathers liability.

Q2) "is bankruptcy our only option?"
A2) No. See A1.

Q3) "my father has never neglected his own responsibilities but he does not want to pay for my brother irresponsibility."
A3) By not paying for the charges on the card your father allowed him to use, he will be neglecting his responsibility.

Q4) "is there anything we can do."
A4) Yes. File criminal charges against your brother. Have him arrested. Then, when he finally gets out, beat the crap out of him for what he put your father through.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential