• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Debt collection sueing me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IN

I just recieved a notice at my place of residence that I am being sued by a collection company for an old credit card. I owe the money, but this is my first time being sued. It says I must asnwer the Complaint in writing to be filed with the court by me or my attorney. I have no job presently so I will respond myself. My question:

1. What am I responding to? I owe the money, do I just write that?
2. How do I file it with the court?
3. Do I send a copy to the plaintiff?
4. What happens next?

Also on a side bar, I was not at home when the paper work was left in my door, what if the paper would have blown away, how would I have known about it?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential