• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Debt collector and Interest

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nic.mar.nyk

What is the name of your state? Colorado

I was recently sued due to a hospital bill. The company that was hired to sued me stated that I can call their Collections department to set up an arrangement. I was only able to pay the arrangement for a few months and since then, my paycheck has been garnished which is understandable. However, can the debt collector continue to charge me interest if they sued me for one specific amount? At the time I was sued, they provided me with one amount that included accrued interest. They also included "Plus Court Costs, plus reasonable attorney fees if permitted by contract or statute, as decided by the court." Im not sure if that last line means they can charge me interest.

PayrollHRGuy

Colorado law allows the accrual of interest on unpaid judgments even in cases where there was no interest rate originally agreed upon. I believe the rate is 8%.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Colorado law provides that, where interest is not stated, the creditor is entitled to both pre-judgment and post-judgment interest at 8% compounded annually. Colo. Rev. Stat. § 5-12-102.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">