• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Debt Collector At Door

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lifeisgood

What is the name of your state? Missouri
When I came home from Dr. office, there was a letter stuck in the door frame from M&I Bank (Marshall & Illsley) asking me to call them. At the bottom it said this was an attempt to collect a debt. This was just waiting for anyone to take and open since I live in a large condo complex.
I have never heard of a debt collector at the door. I'm sure they asked neighbors about me though I only vaguely know one. My condo is going in foreclosure with nothing I can do- no income, no savings, in middle of workers comp claim, not to be settled any to soon.
I quit answering the phone because they are all so rude and don't beleive I am UNABLE to work or pay at the moment, with no solution in site. Is there a solution to this? Please, save the smart remark ans of "pay it off" for someone who actually can (YOU KNOW WHO THIS APPLIES TO--DC)
Thank you for your input.

Veronica1228

lifeisgood said:
What is the name of your state? Missouri
When I came home from Dr. office, there was a letter stuck in the door frame from M&I Bank (Marshall & Illsley) asking me to call them. At the bottom it said this was an attempt to collect a debt. This was just waiting for anyone to take and open since I live in a large condo complex.
I have never heard of a debt collector at the door. I'm sure they asked neighbors about me though I only vaguely know one. My condo is going in foreclosure with nothing I can do- no income, no savings, in middle of workers comp claim, not to be settled any to soon.
I quit answering the phone because they are all so rude and don't beleive I am UNABLE to work or pay at the moment, with no solution in site. Is there a solution to this? Please, save the smart remark ans of "pay it off" for someone who actually can (YOU KNOW WHO THIS APPLIES TO--DC)
Thank you for your input.
I'm not quite clear on what kind of solution you are looking for. You state that you just can't make payments, which I understand, but since this is an OC they don't have to follow the FDCPA guidelines. They have every right to continue to contact you to try and collect on this debt. There's really no way to stop them.

My question to you is; is there some reason that you didn't sell your condo instead of allowing it to go into foreclosure? That would have been my suggestion for a solution, but it may be too late now. I'm afraid that you may just have to put up with them coming to your door.

lifeisgood

In the beginning, I thought this injury was minor and just a temporary inconvenience. By the time it became evident this is serious, probably will be disabled by the end of it all and I just got so far behind with no way to catch up. I used my resources the first 3 months, and then realised this may be on going. I contacted real estate people etc. but owe to much, actually more than it is worth at this point. Also physically not able to move.
I know I am losing the house, and it is OK- won't be able to physically keep it up anyway. I guess I'm just venting and really taken aback to find people knocking at the door. Single and alone is a little scary. Hopefully they don't come at night.
Thanks for your reply.

Veronica1228

lifeisgood said:
In the beginning, I thought this injury was minor and just a temporary inconvenience. By the time it became evident this is serious, probably will be disabled by the end of it all and I just got so far behind with no way to catch up. I used my resources the first 3 months, and then realised this may be on going. I contacted real estate people etc. but owe to much, actually more than it is worth at this point. Also physically not able to move.
I know I am losing the house, and it is OK- won't be able to physically keep it up anyway. I guess I'm just venting and really taken aback to find people knocking at the door. Single and alone is a little scary. Hopefully they don't come at night.
Thanks for your reply.
Don't misunderstand me. While their actions thus far have not violated any collection laws, if their visits to your home escalate to the point of harassment you have every right to call the police. Just because they don't have to follow the FDCPA this doesn't give them carte blanche to show up multiple times a day and act in way that is threatening towards you. That's why we have restraining orders.

At this time the point is moot, but just keep that in mind. Good luck.

lifeisgood

!

Thank you. I know it's a moot point. I had thought of the police--- I'm quiet and reserved and it would really kill me to do that. BUT I will if I feel threatened. I've settled down now, and will expect a knock at the dooor and not freak. I'm just not answering it!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">