• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Debt Crisis!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pjsgirl

Wisconsin - Is it legal for a hospital to charge a minor, thousands of dollars, who is under there parents guardianship still?

pjsgirl

When I was 16 I went into the hospital for something my parents insureance didnt cover. I never got any bills but some how I was being held responsible for it because when I was 17 I tried to get a loan for a car and my bank told me I had this 5,000 dollar debt on my records. So I called the hospital and they directed me to there creditors and I told them my situtuation and they said it was some kind of mix up and that my parents where the ones that were supposed to be responsible. So I finally got my car loan and never thought anything of it again. So now I am 21, getting married next month, and we are looking to buy a house. I got a copy of my credit report the other day and all the debt is still on it. My parents are outraged because it is also on there credit report even though they are making the monthly payments. I have no idea what to do know with these creditors? So I thought I would get a little knowledge of how the legal system works before I called these people and started screaming at them or something.

Ladynred

You need to dispute the entry with the credit bureaus. When you do so, state that you were never responsible for the debt, you were a minor at the time the charges were incurred and your PARENTS were responsible. You cannot be held liable for this debt and it should never have gotten on your credit reports. When you send your dispute letter, send it certified, RRR, and make sure you include some form of proof for your age at the time of the debt.

You also need to WRITE to the hospital, read them the riot act. They put that entry on your reports, THEY can take it off.

ablessin

I agree with ladynred....... send your license with your birthday highlighted....that will give them PROOF that at the time of the hospital stay, you were under 18 and will get you off the hook.
Then, follow up with the credit agency to make sure they move - tell them you're buying a house and that it's legally not your debt and that the - reporting is false and hurting (or hindering) your ability to buy the house!!!!!!!!
They should work with you......
Keep ON them.... don't assume anything... because I did the same thing a year ago, only to have it bite me in the ass 2 weeks ago.... stay on it until it's cleared.
It also wouldn't hurt to INSIST on a letter of apology from the credit bureau either so that you can show the bank you applied for the mortgage it's settled.
Get names of everyone you speak to and don't give up!!!!!!

Good luck

pjsgirl

Thanks you guys. I went to this awesome website that gives samples of debt dispute letters and I sent them to all the debt collectors on my report. I still don't under stand the reason why they would put it on my report seeing I never actually got a bill for anything. Hopefully I will hear from them in the next couple of days.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">