• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Debt from Mom's nursing home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

grimm_28

This question is whether or not I am responsible for money owed to a nursing home in my Mother's behalf.

She was a permanent resident (with dementia) in a nursing home from 2007 until she passed away in 2015. She was covered by Title 19 in the state of Conn. I was her POA and managed her bank account. Basically all I had to do was send a payment (called Applied Income) to the nursing home every month. This amount, determined by the state, was all but $67/month that she got from Social Security. It is my understanding that it is a typical arrangement for Title 19 recipients.

Recently (3 yrs & 2 months after she passed away) the nursing home sent me a bill for $512 on my Mother's behalf. I called and asked what this bill was for, and why it took over 3 years for them to send it. I was informed by office personnel there that this was due to a partial missed Applied Income payment BACK IN 2010, and that they just discovered it.

At this point, I have no records to dispute this because I discarded all paperwork 2 years after her death (thinking I kept them long enough).

I was always under the impression that an offspring was not personally liable for a parent's debt. But I also heard about "filial responsibility" (which is applicable under Conn law).

Can anyone elaborate on this law? Could I be held liable?
I'd like to know before this possibly goes to collection and affects my credit.

Thanks for any useful input.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It appears that the statute of limitations for collections on a written contract in CT is 6 years. Even if you were somehow responsible for paying this (I'm not addressing that), it's well beyond the statute of limitations. Additionally, it's well beyond the reporting limit for collections. They're bluffing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">