• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

debt harrassment after Chapter 13 discharged

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

debigram123

What is the name of your state? TN

I filed Chapter 13 back in 1986, this was sucessfully discharged by the courts in 1991. I received a letter of collection from an attorneys office this past Saturday stating that I owed $404.00 from back in 1986 to CitiBank! They said I could send 50% and have it taken care of.
Number 1. This particular account was included in my Chapter 13 filing and accepted.
Number 2. Citibank never came forward to respond one way or the other.
Number 3. My Chapter 13 case was paid off and Discharged by the Courts in 1991. AT NO TIME FROM THE TIME I FIRST FILED IN 1986 NOR AFTER I WAS FINISHED WITH THE PLAN AND IT WAS DISCHARGED DID ANY CREDITOR COME FORWARD WITH A MOTION FOR AN ADDTIONAL ANYTHING.

How in the world can these people come back 18 years after the fact, 13 years after I was discharged and ask for money on a non-secured debt of $404.00? What is the statue of limitations?

HomeGuru

debigram123 said:
What is the name of your state? TN

I filed Chapter 13 back in 1986, this was sucessfully discharged by the courts in 1991. I received a letter of collection from an attorneys office this past Saturday stating that I owed $404.00 from back in 1986 to CitiBank! They said I could send 50% and have it taken care of.
Number 1. This particular account was included in my Chapter 13 filing and accepted.
Number 2. Citibank never came forward to respond one way or the other.
Number 3. My Chapter 13 case was paid off and Discharged by the Courts in 1991. AT NO TIME FROM THE TIME I FIRST FILED IN 1986 NOR AFTER I WAS FINISHED WITH THE PLAN AND IT WAS DISCHARGED DID ANY CREDITOR COME FORWARD WITH A MOTION FOR AN ADDTIONAL ANYTHING.

How in the world can these people come back 18 years after the fact, 13 years after I was discharged and ask for money on a non-secured debt of $404.00? What is the statue of limitations?
**A: send them a large picture of a screw with a letter U.

JETX

"How in the world can these people come back 18 years after the fact, 13 years after I was discharged and ask for money on a non-secured debt of $404.00?"
** Regretably, this is not completely uncommon. There are some sleazy, slimy 'debt purchasers' out there who prey on the uninformed by buying these OLD, clearly outdated debts and sending letters to the debtor hoping that someone will pay...... and they do!!

"What is the statue of limitations?"
*** Though the SOL is determined by the source of the debt, this one is LONG ago gone and buried.

I would suggest that you make a copy of the letter you received and send a copy and your details (as provided here on the age of this debt) to your state AG office and a copy to THEIR state AG office. You might also consider filing a complaint with the FTC at www.ftc.gov.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">