• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Debt Judgement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NJDebtHelp

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

So back in 2009 and 2010, I remember having two wage garnishments taken out against me. One that I was not informed of and they were granted a judgment and one where I was and worked out a payment amount to be taken. These two wage garnishments basically went back to back. They continued till the point I no longer worked there. I do now remember when I left there at end of 2012 the garnishment was still coming out and thought the two debts had not been fulfilled. Well, at least one of them.

Well now about a week ago I received notice that another wage garnishment request is being pursued in court and I need to deal with it. Knowing I have made no new debt I went through my old papers form the last two and noticed neither match this current docket number. I contacted the "law firm" about the lawsuit and they informed me it was and credit card debt that they had a judgment on from 2009. I told them I would call them back.

(sorry for this being so long)
I contacted my previous employer and got copies of the wage garnishments and payments made so I could know what I was dealing with 100% and this is where it gets interesting.

So the two judgments I knew about had been paid off 100% but a 3rd garnishment was given to them in March 2012 right when my 2nd garnishment had been paid off.
Going over the dates I noticed that the judgment date was 3/20/2009 but they didn't file the garnishment till 3/27/2012. This is weird to me because the first garnishment has a judgment date of 03/25/2009 and the second a judgment date of 4/26/2010.

Am I just unaware of how collection agencies do things or is something funny going on?

FlyingRon

They can keep obtaining wage garnishments as long as the judgment is still valid (it's good for 20 years in NJ and can be renewed for another 20) and that you haven't yet fully paid off the judgment. Yeah, once they find you have a new job, you can expect to be hit up there. Best you could hope for is to move to another state where such debt garnishments are not permitted.

justalayman

Best you could hope for is to move to another state where such debt garnishments are not permitted.
Or just pay what is owed.

Truly it doesn’t appear op is attempting to escape paying their debt. He seems to simply be confused as to why this judgment was sought through garnishment sooner.

The bottom line is: it reslly doesn’t matter as long as they have a valid judgment. The judgment creditor is not obligated to garnish wages but can initiate such action any time the judgment is valid.

NJDebtHelp

Or just pay what is owed.

Truly it doesn’t appear op is attempting to escape paying their debt. He seems to simply be confused as to why this judgment was sought through garnishment sooner.

The bottom line is: it really doesn’t matter as long as they have a valid judgment. The judgment creditor is not obligated to garnish wages but can initiate such action any time the judgment is valid.
This was my issue wasn't sure if it was common practice to wait 3 years before filing for the garnishment. Considering a simple credit check would have found me in 2009 when the judgment was placed. I guess I'm more concerned this was a shady agency trying to double dip since the two judgments were made within 5 days of each other but one wasn't filed till 3 years later.

justalayman

I would verify the underlying judgment is valid if you haven’t already but other than that, I don’t see anything improper going on.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">