• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

debt liability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

archie cardwell

What is the name of your state? PA

My wife was killed in an automobile on 31 Aug 03 and certain bills (credit cards) were in her name only. I mailed the creditors a copy of her death certificate and asked that they not send anymore correspondence to my home. My question is , am I liabile for bills that are in her name?
In additon I have found lay-away receipts for merchandise (women's clothing) that she apparently was making payments on. Obviously, I have no need for the women's clothing. What are my legal options? I would like to either get all the money back that she paid or swap the women's clothing out for men's clothing of the same value. Thank You

JETX

"My question is , am I liabile for bills that are in her name?"
*** Based solely on the informaiton in your post, and assuming that you never signed any agreement, the answer is no.

"In additon I have found lay-away receipts for merchandise (women's clothing) that she apparently was making payments on. Obviously, I have no need for the women's clothing. What are my legal options? I would like to either get all the money back that she paid or swap the women's clothing out for men's clothing of the same value."
*** The 'asset value' of the clothes would be a part of her estate. If you are the executor, you could negotiate with the store on the behalf of the estate and see if you can come to some type of accomodation regarding the value. If not, or unable to negotiate, the clothes would be treated as any other 'non-claimed' lay-away as provided in the lay-away agreement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">