• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Debt Settlement ??'s

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jacqmar

What is the name of your state? IOWA

About 2/3 years ago, I filed BK but did not appear for personal reasons. I settled with 3 creditors and I have not heard from any others. Who/How do I settle with the remaining creditors, I have not seen my credit report. Is it possible by settling with the creditors my FICO score will increase? I think the BK will be on the report, correct? I was thinking if all this is possible I could apply for a home equity loan to pay federal & state taxes and settle my old debts, is this possible or is it all a pipe dream. I am retired and need help paying my taxes and the possiblity of additional taxes on uncollected debts. I have seen ads for debt settlements, are they legitimate? It doesn't seem feasible this can be done, but I thought someone here could give me some insight on my case.

Ladynred

Is it possible by settling with the creditors my FICO score will increase?
No. In fact, 'settled for less than full amount' is a NEGATIVE on your reports and it is never going to help your scores.

I think the BK will be on the report, correct?
Most definitely .. for 10 years.

I was thinking if all this is possible I could apply for a home equity loan
You've got settlements, charge-offs and collections on your reports, as well as a dismissed BK, I'd be very surprised if you can get a loan of any kind.

the possiblity of additional taxes on uncollected debts.
Unless the creditors you settled with filed 1099-C's, then you have no tax repercussions from the 'forgiveness' of the remainder of those debts. Even if they do send a 1099-C, if you can prove to the IRS that you are insolvent, then you would not have to claim the forgiven debt as income.

I have seen ads for debt settlements, are they legitimate?
No, 99.9% of them are SCAMS and they will do you more harm than good and charge you out the wazoo for the so-called 'service'.

For the federal taxes, I suggest you find yourself a taxpayer advocate and see what can be worked out with the IRS.

jacqmar

Thank you Lady in Red, you always give direct answers even though they aren't always what I want to read.

I have another question. My only income is my pension and is it protected from tax levies, federal and/or state? Also, I have a small amount of rollover retirement funds in an IRA, will this be protected? What can I do to protect my home?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">