• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Debt settlement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

If I settle or even pay in full the collections on my credit report will that start the clock again for removal time off my report? Right now they are 6 years old.

TigerD

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

If I settle or even pay in full the collections on my credit report will that start the clock again for removal time off my report? Right now they are 6 years old.
No, it won't.

DC

bdancer

So it will reflect as "paid" and come off within a year? Will it make my score better after saying "paid"?
Nope, it won't.

If this debt was defaulted 6 years ago, you may want to just let it age off. If you do opt to pay, you should be able to settle it for less than 10% in a lump sum payment. Get any settlement agreement in writing and don't give the collector direct access to your bank account.

Also, even when it does reach the 7 year point and age off, you won't see much change to your score. The older an item, the less impact on your FICO score. At 6 years, it isn't making that much difference in your score. At 7, you probably won't even notice a difference in your FICO score.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">