• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DEBT STATUTE OF LIMITATION

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MARQUITTA

I PURCHASED A PRODUCT OVER 10 YRS AGO FROM A STORE THAT HAS NOW GONE OUT OF BUSINESS. I HAVEN'T RECEIVED ANY INFORMATION ABOUT THIS DEBT IN ABOUT 6 OR 7 YEARS, NOW I'VE RECEIVED A LETTER FROM A COLLECTION AGENCY. (STATE OF IL)

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

MARQUITTA said:
I PURCHASED A PRODUCT OVER 10 YRS AGO FROM A STORE THAT HAS NOW GONE OUT OF BUSINESS. I HAVEN'T RECEIVED ANY INFORMATION ABOUT THIS DEBT IN ABOUT 6 OR 7 YEARS, NOW I'VE RECEIVED A LETTER FROM A COLLECTION AGENCY. (STATE OF IL)
My response:

They are doing this to you in the hopes that you are ignorant of the law. After reading the following, you will no longer be ignorant.

First, they cannot collect the debt from you any longer.

Illinois has a 6 year Statute of Limitations on debts based upon a written contract. That means, if they haven't filed a lawsuit against you within 6 years from the date of the contract, OR WITHIN 6 YEARS FROM THE DATE OF YOUR LAST PAYMENT, it's all over for them.

Second, you can tell them this, and also tell them to go take a flying leap.

Third, if they do, in fact, sue you for the money, your Affirmative Defense would be the Illinois Statute of Limitations which bars them forever from collecting on the debt. You win.

So, check to make sure that you haven't paid any money to the original creditor, or anyone, on this debt within the past 6 years. If you haven't, you're home free.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">