• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Deceased bills

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Joyce Couch

What is the name of your state? Florida

My father passed away 2 years ago. My mother has been paying bills that are in my deceased father's name. She lives on a fixed income and really has been struggling to pay the bills and keep up the home. Does she have to continue to pay those bills if she notifies the companies he owes that he is deceased and give proof of death certificate?

Your advice on this issue will help her a lot.

Dandy Don

Senior Member
No, she does not have to continue paying on his bills. She can call or write the creditors to inform them that he is deceased and that his estate is bankrupt. If she wants to include a copy of the death certificate as proof, that would be ok. After a certain amount of time has passed, the companies are going to write off the amounts as bad debt.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential