• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

deceased parent out-of-state vehicle

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cwells

What is the name of your state? California. I have my deceased father's vehicle along with his Minnesota Title. He had no will, therefore, there was no probate. There's only this vehicle. Besides myself, I have two other siblings. It was agreed that I would handle the sale since they live in other states (not Minnesota). I've contacted the MN and CA DMV's several times each. I'm still getting conflicting info. The CA DMV sent me several forms claiming that they'd be all I needed to complete this action. However, the form Reg. 5 "Affidavit for Transfer Without Probate" they sent me, states it may be done only for vehicles registered in California. Please tell me what I need to do and what forms I need to sell this vehicle in California. Thank you. cwells

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

cwells said:
What is the name of your state? California. I have my deceased father's vehicle along with his Minnesota Title. He had no will, therefore, there was no probate. There's only this vehicle. Besides myself, I have two other siblings. It was agreed that I would handle the sale since they live in other states (not Minnesota). I've contacted the MN and CA DMV's several times each. I'm still getting conflicting info. The CA DMV sent me several forms claiming that they'd be all I needed to complete this action. However, the form Reg. 5 "Affidavit for Transfer Without Probate" they sent me, states it may be done only for vehicles registered in California. Please tell me what I need to do and what forms I need to sell this vehicle in California. Thank you. cwells

My response:

Well, you've got the right idea, but you have the wrong State. Right now, California is "out of the picture" until you can obtain ownership in MI. So, right now, you can only deal with the MI DMV. When the vehicle has been transferred into you name through the MI DMV, then, and only then, can you deal with registration of the vehicle in California. Then, once that's accomplished, you can sell the vehicle. But, as you know, until that happens, you are not the "owner" and can't sell the car to anyone.

IAAL

C

cwells

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. However, the MN DMV is telling me that I cannot register/obtain a MN title because I do not live in MN. This is exactly what I've been going around in circles with. Please help!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">