• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

deceased spouses debts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kaross01

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Louisiana
My husband passed away suddenly one month ago. Though he had been sick it was not thought to be fatal. I found out that our life insurance is not going to pay. We had no burial or credit life insurance. My family income has been reduced by >50% and our bills went up. My youngest child turned 18 this month so we do not qualify for survivors benefits. We owe back state taxes and have to pay in again this year. My husband had accrued a credit card debt of $1500 and numerous medical bills. Question: Am i responsible for the debts in his name if i did not sign the contracts? There is no equity in our home and have nothing of value we could sell. If i am responsible, what are the odds of the credit card company and medical bills working with me to settle the debt. I have considered bankruptcy but only as a last resort. Please advise.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">