• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Deductions of losses in stock market from gains made in flipping a house

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

virs

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC

State NC

I own 3 rental properties.

I bought a house at a foreclosure auction in January 08, fixed it and sold it in May 08. I bought this property with the intent to sell (not to rent). I made a decent profit during this transaction.

I plan to bailout of stock market before end of this year and will take a loss on my stock market investment. Will I be able to use the losses in the stock market to offset the gains I made in the flipping of the house?

I have also posted this question in the tax forum..

Appreciate some help..

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC

State NC

I own 3 rental properties.

I bought a house at a foreclosure auction in January 08, fixed it and sold it in May 08. I bought this property with the intent to sell (not to rent). I made a decent profit during this transaction.

I plan to bailout of stock market before end of this year and will take a loss on my stock market investment. Will I be able to use the losses in the stock market to offset the gains I made in the flipping of the house?

I have also posted this question in the tax forum..

Appreciate some help..

**A: short answer yes under certain conditions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">