• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Deed name transfer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MnM5281

What is the name of your state? PA

My mother will soon be filing for a divorce, though before proceeding with the paperwork, she would like my father and her mother-in-law to sign the house over to my mother and I. My parent's and my grandmother's names are on the deed.

My question is, who do we contact in order to be able to transfer the names on the deed to our house? Do we need a lawyer or do we have to go through the county?

We reside in Delaware County, PA.

Thank you.

seniorjudge

Q: My question is, who do we contact in order to be able to transfer the names on the deed to our house? Do we need a lawyer or do we have to go through the county?

A: The deed from grandma to ma can be before the lawsuit. The deed to ma from pa should be done AFTER the divorce. Make sure the judgment in the lawsuit gives ma the entire interest in the land. Have ma's lawyer handle this as part of the lawsuit.

This gets kind of tricky; it is not a do-it-yourself deal. I have just skimmed the surface here.

Ma's lawyer may have a dozen or so more questions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">