• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Defamation and possible wrongful termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



I work in Massachusetts for a large company as a part time supervisor. Recently there has been an internal investigation in our company dealing with activities outside of the workplace. I was also questioned about activities outside the workplace. (I went out with about 20 other management personnel to a bar, both full-time and part-time. (Nothing illegal) Because of this investigation, rumors have been going around the workplace about me which are absolutely unture. (sexual favors, etc) Upper management knows about these rumors and the investigator told me that it was self inflicted and they dont care that my name has been smeared. Also have asked for my resignation. (As recently as yesterday) Acutally they said I can resign or be terminated. I have not done anything illegal. The other people at the bar have not be asked to resign. I am the only woman in this investigation. (Male dominated workplace) I will actually find out today if I am terminated or not. Also I was promised by a higher manager that I would be able to go full time soon, but now because of these investigations, by promotion has been "post-poned". They told me it was for everyone, but I am actually the only one being affected. DO I have a case?




Most people are employees at will and have no employment contracts or union contracts that protect them. That means that a boss can fire them at will for any legal reason other than discrimination on the basis of such things such as race, color, creed, sex, etc. or no reason at all. Therefore, they probably could legally fire you for this unless you can show sexual discrimination, that they applied a discriminatory standard to you because of your sex. It sounds like you have a good possibility of showing that in the circumstances, and it might be worth your while to discuss this with an employment lawyer in your state.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential