• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

defamation of a deceased person

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

Tina Suratt

I live in the state of Illinois. I wanted to know if a person can be sued for defamation of character of a deceased person? After my brothers death, my sister suddenly came out with this story that my brother had been molesting her and other physical abuse from age 4 until she was 12. She has told this story all over town, and humiliated our whole family. My brother was very popular and known as a pretty decent man. She has ruined his reputation and memory, and some family members wont even speak his name any more. Can another family member sue her on behalf of the deceased? And what would be needed as proof? I can prove he didnt do it. Would she be forced to prove that he did????

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tina Suratt:
I live in the state of Illinois. I wanted to know if a person can be sued for defamation of character of a deceased person? After my brothers death, my sister suddenly came out with this story that my brother had been molesting her and other physical abuse from age 4 until she was 12. She has told this story all over town, and humiliated our whole family. My brother was very popular and known as a pretty decent man. She has ruined his reputation and memory, and some family members wont even speak his name any more. Can another family member sue her on behalf of the deceased? And what would be needed as proof? I can prove he didnt do it. Would she be forced to prove that he did????<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

I understand exactly what you are saying. Unfortunately, the answer to your question is, no. "Defamation of Character" (libelous and slanderous statements or writings) are "personal" torts. That means that such "wrongs" are actionable only by the person being wronged. And, in order to be "actionably wronged," you must be alive.
For example, after a person dies, how many times have you read about "torrid affairs" about that person's life, or other nasty things? Even if you could prove the things being said are untrue, you'd have to admit that you weren't around the deceased person every minute of their life, and as such, could in some respects, be true. And the deceased person is no longer able to testify, or admit or deny the veracity of the statements or writings. No one enjoys having the name and memory of a family member dragged through the mud, but there's nothing you can personally do about it; hence the old saying, "Never speak ill of the dead", but they do, and they can, anyway.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">