• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

defamation of character by person suing us?

• Thread starter sickofthisplace
  • Start date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sickofthisplace

What is the name of your state? Michigan

My significant other is being sued by a waste hauler for supposedly not paying the full balance due. Problem is the waste company has not provided us with clear concise invoices, has not contacted us to clear up the amount, and is suing for more than we think due him. Furthermore, he went to another waste company and told them that we don't like to pay our bills and that he was going to sue us, and it damaged the relationship we had with the company as now they won't give us delivery on account but only delivery upon payment. The owner of the other company 's wife said to me "I am not naming names, but another person in the dumpster business said XXX doesn't like to pay his bills." I knew who it was immediately because he is the only one we are having a problem with.

Do we have a counter claim for something? Either defamation/slander or some sort of law protecting debtors from bill collectors contacting third parties?

H

hexeliebe

You have a case of "find him/her picking up trash somewhere on the side of the road and beat the crap out of them..." But nothing else.

You have no proof and even if you could prove who said what you have to also prove damages. And you have none.

JETX

"Do we have a counter claim for something?"
*** You may have a claim for 'something' but not for anything noted in your post.

"Either defamation/slander or some sort of law protecting debtors from bill collectors contacting third parties?"
*** Nope. In this case, the original waste company only said (per YOUR post) that he "doesn't like to pay his bills." From your post, that is a true statement (as really NONE of us like to pay our bills!). As such, it is a truthful statement and not defamation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">