• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Defamation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

RL

Our family has a situation, and is in need of advise. Our neighbor has created a situation: he has had formal complaints written in to the developer and town against his property ( violations against our convennants) which he is very upset. We have not made these complaints. He is verbally telling our neighbors that we have made these complaints, and are the ones writtings complaints against others; this has caused other parents to not let their children associated with ours, along with other problems; his treatment toward how he speaks to the children. This neighbor has gone as far as to video tape our property, and children playing in our yard; while doing so making statements- "I'm finishing what you started", lets see how uncomfortable I can make you. While I understand there's no privacy while outside. I just wanted to elaberate the extent of how far this is going. What can be done- is this defamation?

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

It may seem to be invasion of privacy to an extent (definitely not that outside the walls of your home); defamation (oral = slander and written = libel); possible harassment. Have you thought about filing a nuisance complaint against this person? (he unreasonably interferes with your right to quiet peace and enjoyment.

You need to hire an attorney who not only is a torts professional (these are torts), but is familiar with cases dealing with neighbors. Maybe even one who has working knowledge of covenants. Try attorneypages.com or even your STATE BAR.

Hope this helps.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">