• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Defaulted credit card

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Laurla13

What is the name of your state? ohio
in the mid 2000 i defaulted on my credit card. today i received a call from a mitigation company saying they were preparing papers for court for this said card. I never entered into any agreements when i defaulted because i know that makes the limitation years start all over. can they take me to court over something this old and not even on my credit??

quincy

What is the name of your state? ohio
in the mid 2000 i defaulted on my credit card. today i received a call from a mitigation company saying they were preparing papers for court for this said card. I never entered into any agreements when i defaulted because i know that makes the limitation years start all over. can they take me to court over something this old and not even on my credit??
They potentially can sue over the debt but you could use the statute of limitations as a defense in court or to get the suit dismissed.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
"Preparing papers for court" doesn't mean anything. It's an empty threat that they are using to try to scare you in to paying. If you actually receive a summons for court, then you can go to court with your defense (the statute of limitations) and you can probably ask for sanctions. Furthermore, what you have described may be in violation of the Fair Credit Reporting Act.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">