• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Defense against a 39:4-135 Parking wrong way

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ChrisKNJ

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

I received a ticket for parking in the wrong direction. I parked in a valid space, but facing against the flow of traffic.

This is a low volume side street and the reason I parked that way was that there was severe weather and flash flood warnings. The street was flooding with several inches of water. I wanted to park so I could step out of my car onto a curb and avoid the water.

Is this a valid defense or would I be wasting my time trying to explain this to a prosecutor/judge?

Thanks in advance!

FlyingRon

No. That is not a defense. You have nothing to lose by trying it with the judge, but it probably won't work.

adjusterjack

This is a low volume side street and the reason I parked that way was that there was severe weather and flash flood warnings. The street was flooding with several inches of water. I wanted to park so I could step out of my car onto a curb and avoid the water.
When it rains wear galoshes.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Of coure, one of the reasons this is a violation is that it pretty much means you had to drive on the wrong side of the street as well.

In any event, I don't see your excuse holding any water (no pun intended).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">