• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Defense for discrimination without a handbook or policy?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SBOwner876

State: New York

Two employees with the same job title but one has been with the company longer by like 8 months or so.

The employee who had been there longer received more unpaid personal time off than the other employee. The employee is now claiming discrimination, can we say that the other employee received more unpaid time off because he/she had been there longer even though we don't have a written policy stating how much unpaid personal time each employee gets based on their time of employment?

Basically, would it be enough for me to say "he/she gets more because they've been employed longer?

Just Blue

Two employees with the same job title but one has been with the company longer by like 8 months or so.

The employee who had been there longer received more unpaid personal time off than the other employee. The employee is now claiming discrimination, can we say that the other employee received more unpaid time off because he/she had been there longer even though we don't have a written policy stating how much unpaid personal time each employee gets based on their time of employment?

Basically, would it be enough for me to say "he/she gets more because they've been employed longer?

What do you mean "now claiming discrimination"? What kind of discrimination? Has the employee filed some kind of suit? How many employees in your company?

eerelations

You may not have to say anything!

Discrimination is only illegal if the employer's actions (in this case, giving one employee more unpaid time off than another employee) are based solely and specifically on things like the other employee's race, gender, disability and/or age (if the other employee is over 40). If your granting of extra unpaid time off is not based on any of these things, you are not committing illegal discrimination, and therefore don't have to say anything at all.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
On what basis is the employee claiming discrimination? Is s/he claiming discrimination on the basis of their race, religion, national origin, sex, disability, pregnancy or genetic information? Because if it's not based on one of those characteristics, or a characteristic similarly protected by New York or local law, then it's not illegal discrimination.

But if you feel compelled to defend your position, which you are not required to do in the first place, the fact that the one employee has been with the company longer is a perfectly legal reason for the difference.

bcr229

But if you feel compelled to defend your position, which you are not required to do in the first place, the fact that the one employee has been with the company longer is a perfectly legal reason for the difference.
Or the first employee who was hired simply negotiated a better compensation package. Twice when I've changed jobs I've received an additional week of paid time off/vacation from what a new hire would typically get, just by asking for it.

zddoodah

HRforme

Generally, yes.... but it might be best to have an unpaid personal time policy that interacts with any required state or federal paid or unpaid leave. (depending on your employer's size). In the end seniority/ length of service can be used to make decisions, but you need to stay consistent.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Temporary bump. Old thread.
Sorry, q, but since it's up here already....

It's also possible that the "other" employee has a personal situation that the employer is sympathetic towards (thinking sick child or parent....)

quincy

It's not discrimination, it's true, those who work longer take more. My company has the same policy.
The original poster (SBOwner876) started this thread on May 8 and has not returned to the forum since that time. Any additional comments are unlikely to be of benefit to the poster after this amount of time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">