• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

"Deferred Vested" Pension

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

emcf74

What is the name of your state? Florida

Last September, I was laid off due to my company being purchased by another company, and subsequently closed. As part of my severance package, my pension was pro-rated for length of service and given to me. The terms were that if the company's pro-rata calculation came out to $5000 or less, the pension would be distributed to me in a cash lump sum. If over $5000, I would receive the pension in monthly payments beginning at age 65.

Turns out the pension amount calculated was $5715.09. I am to receive monthly payments of $258.86 at age 65. That is well and good if my company is still around in 35 years and can pay it, but to be honest, after being unemployed for almost a year, I could really use that money now. Is there any way for me to obtain this benefit now? I don't know what the law is concerning private company pension benefits and disbursement rules. Thank you in advance.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If this is a bona fide pension plan, then Federal law prohibits any disbursement of the pension funds until you are at least 55 years old. Sorry.

emcf74

I believe it is a "bona fide" pension plan. It is a defined benefit plan as described by the DOL. If Federal law prohibits disbursement of funds, why was a cash lump sum disbursement allowed for those pensions valued at $5000 or less? I'm guessing there are limits to disbursements, maybe? Where could I find Federal law concerning pension regulation - is that ERISA? Thank you again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">