• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Definition of a Demotion

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

john_seed

What is the name of your state?CA

Recently our group had our pay grade lowered after a re-evaluation of the position. Our pay is the same, but the change in job grade affects our participation in the bonus plan, our future merit increases, and what our salary cap is.

When I was speaking with our director of HR, she said it was not a demotion, but a reassignment of the pay grade based off a re-evaluation of the position.

I disagreed. I looked up the term "demotion" in the Webster dictionary and it said a demotion was "to reduce to a lower grade or rank". I looked up the word in other dictionaries and found the same thing.

Do any of you have the definition of a demotion, and does it really apply here in my case?

Thanks!

HomeGuru

john_seed said:
What is the name of your state?CA

Recently our group had our pay grade lowered after a re-evaluation of the position. Our pay is the same, but the change in job grade affects our participation in the bonus plan, our future merit increases, and what our salary cap is.

When I was speaking with our director of HR, she said it was not a demotion, but a reassignment of the pay grade based off a re-evaluation of the position.

I disagreed. I looked up the term "demotion" in the Webster dictionary and it said a demotion was "to reduce to a lower grade or rank". I looked up the word in other dictionaries and found the same thing.

Do any of you have the definition of a demotion, and does it really apply here in my case?

Thanks!
**A: demotion is what deboat does when dewaves come.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I tend to agree with your HR manager, since your pay and responsibilities have not changed; only your participation in fringe benefits. But it's possible that if I saw the entire compensation plan (no, you cannot e-mail it to me) I might change my mind. It's not likely, though.

Beth3

There is no legal definition of "demotion." In common business vernacular, it's typically used when an individual is removed from one position and transferred to another position of lesser status and pay. That did not happen here. I agree with your HR Manager - the position was just reclassified.

In any case, what does it matter? Call it a demotion if you wish - it doesn't change anything.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">