• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Definiton of insubordination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LUCY88

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA, I would like to know the true definition of "insubordination"? While trying to give an order to an employee he hung up on me. Yes, I called his cell while on duty, a number he gave us to reach him at. He was more worried about how I got his number then me trying to tell him about his actions.

swalsh411

Simply put, it's not following directions. Sometimes it's justified, for example refusing to do something illegal or immoral. Are you wondering whether or not he will be able to collect unemployment if you fire him? If you want anything close to an educated guess you will need to provide more info.

Beth3

In the broad sense, insubordination is failing to accord the proper acknowledgement and respect to a superior. Hanging up on you most certainly does qualify. It appears it would be very appropriate to discipline this employee. I would issue this employee a final written warning and advise him that if he ever does anything like this again, he will be terminated immediately.

If, however, this is just the latest in a series of inappropriate behaviors and/or job performance issues, I'd terminate him.

LUCY88

Thanks for you quick help on this. I did not terminate employment but, did give a suspension. He has filed a greivance and we are meeting on that this morning. He lost 12 hours pay and the shop steward in his greivance is asking the defintion and also his pay back. At first, he told the union that he was at home when I called him and he lost service. However, when he was sent home he called the steward but, never returned my call. I want to thank you all for your help once again, it is nice to have a place to turn for answers.

Mass_Shyster

Black's Law Dictionary (8th ed. 2004), insubordination

INSUBORDINATION

insubordination. 1. A willful disregard of an employer's instructions, esp. behavior that gives the employer cause to terminate a worker's employment. 2. An act of disobedience to proper authority; esp., a refusal to obey an order that a superior officer is authorized to give.

LUCY88

No, he had not already worked the 12 hours. He was at work for about an hour and then sent home. He was paid for time that he was on the clock but, not the time he was sent home.

BOR

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA, I would like to know the true definition of "insubordination"? While trying to give an order to an employee he hung up on me. Yes, I called his cell while on duty, a number he gave us to reach him at. He was more worried about how I got his number then me trying to tell him about his actions.
Insubordination, a derivative of subordinate, is a basic catch all term of anything the employer wants. However, as was cited Black's law dictionary provided an excellent definition.

Out of curiousity the law library of a local law school of a college/university will have digests called "Words and Phrases". There will be such in those for VA jurisprudence from cases decided.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">