• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dejavu unlock your thread

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nextwife

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? dejavu2 dejavu2 is offline

Help me please!
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

My grandparents died intestate in MS over ten years ago. Their estate was then given to their only child which was my father. My parents also died intestate. To this union were born two children, my brother and myself. My brother is now deceased but left behind a widow. Since my father's death in IL in 2006, I have been made the administrator of his estate. My sister-in-law hasn't paid any attorney fees or taxes on this property in three years. Under MS. law is my sister-in-law entitled to any of my grandparents' estate. If so, how much?

Nobody can respond to a locked thread.

First, your Grandparents estate is irrelevant in this thread. That is done and closed by now. Your job, if appointed by the court, is the deal with the probate of THIS estate.

Why is the estate still open after three years?

Have you researched intestate succession?

You mention taxes. Are you referring to property taxes? Who has use of the house? Why isn't the rent/other estate assets being used to pay the cost of the taxes? Has the property been transferred out of the estate?

Something is very wrong if you've been administering the estate for three years and have not distributed it yet.

If there IS a house, why has it not been sold in all this time? Are you living there? If so, are you paying rent to the estate?

Last edited:

Dandy Don

Dejavu did not lock the thread--the administrator of this website locked it because the question does not have much of anything to do with probate.

If she is not paying her fair share of taxes, sue her in small claims court or deduct it from her husband's share of the estate.

Your sister in law most likely IS entitled to her deceased husband's share but the only way you will find out for sure is to consult with a local probate attorney.

nextwife

Dejavu did not lock the thread--the administrator of this website locked it because the question does not have much of anything to do with probate.

If she is not paying her fair share of taxes, sue her in small claims court or deduct it from her husband's share of the estate.

Your sister in law most likely IS entitled to her deceased husband's share but the only way you will find out for sure is to consult with a local probate attorney.
WHAT taxes is she referring to? It may very well be property taxes, and, if so, property taxes on an estate owned property?

It sounds like she wants SIL to pay taxes on an estate owned property.

Often, the estate pays the property taxes directly out of proceeds when the property is sold, rather than having individual beneficiaries pay it. Or, the rent the estate recieves from the occupant is used to pay the taxes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">