• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Delay in AC Repair

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kateccc

I am currently 2 months into a year long lease and am renting from a property management company in Arlington, VA.

Two weeks ago, the AC started leaking and would not stop. We were told to turn off the AC in the apartment to prevent water damage and further mold growth, even though the temperatures have been in the mid-nineties. The property management company has already received "approval" from the landlord to replace the unit, but have yet to provide a timeline as to when the unit will actually be replaced. They are claiming it is not their responsibility since the repairman is an independent contractor. I have written them over a dozen emails over the past 2 weeks notifying them of the mold issue and requesting updates.

It is stated in my lease that the landlord will maintain and repair the AC, but have been repeatedly told that this issue is not an emergency. What can I do to streamline the process? What are my chances of asking for prorated rent? Can they force me to turn off the AC until they figure out how to fix it? Thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">