• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Deleted Thread: A way to make sure all this money to benefit my son?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Today, 12:47 PM
benjamin7062
Junior Member Join Date: Mar 2011

A way to make sure all this money to benefit my son?

General Questions About Child Support:

My wife and I make within 15K of the same salary. We are both over the maximum legal child support. Our sons expenses are currently WAY under the maximum legal limit. Since I'm the father I know I will be paying. I was really hoping we could agree to paying 50/50 on all his expenses since we make about the same. I'm willing to cover more than the legal limit. However, it blows my mind that I will be paying my wife so much post-tax money that she will make over 20K more than me per year (20% raise). I will still have the same financial liabilities for my son, cover his medical insurance, living expenses, etc, and be giving her a 20K raise. Meanwhile we spend approximately $800.00 per month right now (total -- $400.00/ea).

His expenses will go up over time.
• Is it unrealistic to put the excess money in a trust or college fund instead of my wife's income?
• Are there any other options that would directly benefit my son?
• Will the court seriously stick me with 20% in this scenario?
Let me be clear. I will give my son every penny he needs. I just have such a hard time watching 20% of my income become my ex-wife's income without a way to be sure it benefits my son. It is more than double our foreseeable expenses for the next two-to-three years. (considering I will also be paying 50% medical on top of this.

I will do anything for my little boy but the system seems quite unfair in that this 20K doesn't have to benefit my son at all. Why does my wife not have to pay anything towards his well-being *AND* get all the legal rights?

It's almost as if Dad's who don't care about their kids have it easier... Just pay-and-walk.

Today, 12:53 PM

Proserpina
Senior Member Join Date: Mar 2009

Based upon this and your other post, I suggest you spend some time reading through some of the older threads in this forum.

Seriously.

Today, 02:12 PM

benjamin7062
Junior Member Join Date: Mar 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin7062
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

General Questions About Child Support:

My wife and I make within 15K of the same salary. We are both over the maximum legal child support. Our sons expenses are currently WAY under the maximum legal limit. Since I'm the father I know I will be paying. I was really hoping we could agree to paying 50/50 on all his expenses since we make about the same. I'm willing to cover more than the legal limit. However, it blows my mind that I will be paying my wife so much post-tax money that she will make over 20K more than me per year (20% raise). I will still have the same financial liabilities for my son, cover his medical insurance, living expenses, etc, and be giving her a 20K raise. Meanwhile we spend approximately $800.00 per month right now (total -- $400.00/ea).

His expenses will go up over time.
• Is it unrealistic to put the excess money in a trust or college fund instead of my wife's income?
• Are there any other options that would directly benefit my son?
• Will the court seriously stick me with 20% in this scenario?
Let me be clear. I will give my son every penny he needs. I just have such a hard time watching 20% of my income become my ex-wife's income without a way to be sure it benefits my son. It is more than double our foreseeable expenses for the next two-to-three years. (considering I will also be paying 50% medical on top of this.

I will do anything for my little boy but the system seems quite unfair in that this 20K doesn't have to benefit my son at all. Why does my wife not have to pay anything towards his well-being *AND* get all the legal rights?

It's almost as if Dad's who don't care about their kids have it easier... Just pay-and-walk.

I asked my question poorly. I will answer it.

Legally, there is nothing I can do to control the spending of the child support my wife will receive. No one can be certain of what the court will rule but the guideline will be 20% of my income.

I should have asked the question:

Are there alternatives to this common ruling that would have a more direct way of benefiting my child. If yes, what are the strategies in getting a judge to consider these alternatives.

I had hoped my wife and I could simply split expenses 50/50 and both be responsible for his well-being equally. $300.00 or $2000.00. A blind lump payment which can be easily abused is disappointing. Should have read the fine print on the marriage...

After reading the many responses from the average contributer it seems I will likely not get the answers I'm looking for and instead be the proverbial punching bag for the 'volunteers' on here. Perhaps there are no legal alternatives to specific and static payments based solely on salary in my State. If there are, I will not likely find out about them on these forums.

I will leave my two posts but take my questions to a less hostile forum.

Cheers... =)

Today, 04:41 PM

WittyUserName
Senior Member Join Date: Mar 2008

Quote:
After reading the many responses from the average contributer it seems I will likely not get the answers I'm looking for and instead be the proverbial punching bag for the 'volunteers' on here. Perhaps there are no legal alternatives to specific and static payments based solely on salary in my State. If there are, I will not likely find out about them on these forums.

Cheers... =)

I would encourage you to not only continue your research, but to consider perhaps sitting in on Family Court for a day. This is possible in many jurisdictions, and is also a good way to get a feel for how many people come in wanting to reinvent the wheel because they don't like various aspects of the current CS system - and how judges tend to react to that.

Also, you might well find that court is not set up to be a friendly, welcoming experience. I wonder if your expectations for court may be wildly out of sync with the reality. A day sitting in might be a good way to find out.

Today, 05:28 PM

stealth2
Senior Member Join Date: May 2002

Quote:

Cheers... =)

i.e. Since you will tell me the truth and not what I want to hear, I'm taking my toys and going home.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Today, 05:51 PM

CJane
Senior Member Join Date: Feb 2005

I want to know how two people who both make in excess of $100,000/year can be so stupid about their lives in general.

I'd also like to know what Mom does - professionally - that allows her to continue making in excess of $100,000/year while taking a month to visit her Mom in PA, exclusively breast feeding the child, and arguing about towel colors.

Today, 05:57 PM

stealth2
Senior Member Join Date: May 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJane
I want to know how two people who both make in excess of $100,000/year can be so stupid about their lives in general.

I'd also like to know what Mom does - professionally - that allows her to continue making in excess of $100,000/year while taking a month to visit her Mom in PA, exclusively breast feeding the child, and arguing about towel colors.
No clue. I barely manage to take three weeks vacation (usually split up a few days at a time), am happy when I actually cook something that includes some kind of fresh veggies and doesn't involve paying someone to bring food to my door, and am ecstatic when the towels are freshly laundered (as opposed to "clean enough!"). Who the heck cares what *color* they are?!?!?! Between work and the kids, I'm too busy to worry about such trivialities.

Today, 06:10 PM

LdiJ
Senior Member Join Date: May 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJane

AND needing to marry dad to get on his insurance, since presumably she would have had decent insurance of her own, making 100k a year.

Something smells here.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">