• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Deleted thread - kept for legal relevance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Antigone*

Today, 08:47 AM
FreakyBot
Junior Member Join Date: Jul 2011

Help Please!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Virginia

My current husband is paying a debt that was mentioned in the divorce decree. The same document stipulates that the monthly payment should be made by the first days of every month. Unfortunately, we have been having some financial bumps which cause him to pay between the 7 and 20th of every month. However, he does not have any delayed payment.
His ex wife refuses to drop his surname. Is there any legal action to prevent her from using it? Can his checks be written under her maiden name?
I also miscarried a baby, recently, due to the stress caused by her recurrent calls to my husband to take her back. Can I pursue any legal actions against her?

´Thank you very much.

Sponsored ad

FreakyBot
View Public Profile
Find all posts by FreakyBot

Ads by Google

Ask a Lawyer Online Now - 18 Lawyers Online Now Answer Your Questions In Minutes. - eAnswer.com/Law

Free Lawyer Locator - Find A Divorce Lawyer In Your Area Get Free Info & Consultation, Now! - www.totaldivorce.com

Attorney at Law, NC - Get the Full Attention Your Case Deserves. Get a Free Consultation! - Amrita K. Dhaliwal - Charlotte, NC, Attorney, DWI, Traffic, Family Law, Wills

Asset Protection - Legally protect your assets from creditors and litigants. - Asset Protection Attorney | Wealth Preservation | Rubinstein & Rubinstein

#2 Today, 08:51 AM
Antigone*of*Greece
Senior Member Join Date: Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakyBot
Virginia

My current husband is paying a debt that was mentioned in the divorce decree. The same document stipulates that the monthly payment should be made by the first days of every month. Unfortunately, we have been having some financial bumps which cause him to pay between the 7 and 20th of every month. However, he does not have any delayed payment.
His ex wife refuses to drop his surname. Is there any legal action to prevent her from using it? Can his checks be written under her maiden name?
I also miscarried a baby, recently, due to the stress caused by her recurrent calls to my husband to take her back. Can I pursue any legal actions against her?

´Thank you very much.

His divorce is none of your business. She can use the name she was legally given until she chooses not to.

Sorry about your miscarriage, but you really need to let things like this not bother you.

You have no case. I might suggest counselling, if you cannot get your emotions in check.

Darn that's a deep hole. You look stuck. How did you get in there What You dug it Oh, sucks to be you

Find a Family Law Attorney

Antigone*of*Greece
View Public Profile
Send a private message to Antigone*of*Greece
Find all posts by Antigone*of*Greece

#3 Today, 08:56 AM
LillianX
Member Join Date: May 2011

Quote:
Virginia

Did you have a question about this? I'm not sure what you want to know.

Quote:

She is using her legal name. It's incredibly common to keep your married name until you remarry. She absolutely does not have to change her name. Checks written out to her maiden name need not be accepted by her, given that they aren't written to her.

Quote:

´Thank you very much.

You need to see a therapist.

FreakyBot

Hi, Thank you for your answers. I was reacting emotionally to this situation.

My question regarding my hub payments was: can his ex wife pursue legal actions for him not paying on the first day of every month? He has no delayed payments.

My second question is: Can I pursue any legal actions against her constant harassment?

Today, 08:47 AM
FreakyBot
Junior Member Join Date: Jul 2011

Help Please!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Virginia

´Thank you very much.

Sponsored ad

FreakyBot
View Public Profile
Find all posts by FreakyBot

Ads by Google

Ask a Lawyer Online Now - 18 Lawyers Online Now Answer Your Questions In Minutes. - eAnswer.com/Law

Free Lawyer Locator - Find A Divorce Lawyer In Your Area Get Free Info & Consultation, Now! - Divorce Laws. Filing Divorce Information and Lawyers

Attorney at Law, NC - Get the Full Attention Your Case Deserves. Get a Free Consultation! - Amrita K. Dhaliwal - Charlotte, NC, Attorney, DWI, Traffic, Family Law, Wills

Asset Protection - Legally protect your assets from creditors and litigants. - Asset Protection Attorney | Wealth Preservation | Rubinstein & Rubinstein

#2 Today, 08:51 AM
Antigone*of*Greece
Senior Member Join Date: Dec 2007

Quote:
Virginia

´Thank you very much.

His divorce is none of your business. She can use the name she was legally given until she chooses not to.

Sorry about your miscarriage, but you really need to let things like this not bother you.

You have no case. I might suggest counselling, if you cannot get your emotions in check.

Darn that's a deep hole. You look stuck. How did you get in there What You dug it Oh, sucks to be you

Find a Family Law Attorney

Antigone*of*Greece
View Public Profile
Send a private message to Antigone*of*Greece
Find all posts by Antigone*of*Greece

#3 Today, 08:56 AM
LillianX
Member Join Date: May 2011

Quote:
Virginia

Did you have a question about this? I'm not sure what you want to know.

Quote:

She is using her legal name. It's incredibly common to keep your married name until you remarry. She absolutely does not have to change her name. Checks written out to her maiden name need not be accepted by her, given that they aren't written to her.

Quote:

´Thank you very much.

You need to see a therapist.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Freakybot, you are lurking. You need to realize that she is allowed to use HER name which includes HER MARRIED NAME. That is her name.

Second, your husband needs to pay per the court order.

Third, He shouldn't be telling you that his ex wife wants you back and causing you this stress.

Fourth, please get some counseling.

Antigone*

My question regarding my hub payments was: can his ex wife pursue legal actions for him not paying on the first day of every month? He has no delayed payments.

My second question is: Can I pursue any legal actions against her constant harassment?
Yes she can if she wants. These payments are not YOURS to make.

Yes you can if you want (it is a free country), but you will not prevail. You will look like a lunatic in court. But hey, do whatever floats your boat.

FYI ~ If you bring about such a ridiculous action you can be held to pay for her attorney's fees.

LillianX

If there is a court order in place stating that payments are due on the 1st of the month, she can take him to court for contempt. If it's a pattern, she'll have a lot more luck than if it's just every now and then.

No.

FreakyBot

Once again, thank you all for yours answer. It's been extremely useful. Sometimes, the emotional stress gets over my better judgment.

Last edited:

LillianX

If my husband was condemn by contempt, what would be the consequences?
Anything ranging from a stern talking to to jail time.

As for the name change, you REALLY need to see a therapist. Why in the world does her name bother you? You have no reason to even communicate with this person. Let it go.

FreakyBot

Anything ranging from a stern talking to to jail time.

As for the name change, you REALLY need to see a therapist. Why in the world does her name bother you? You have no reason to even communicate with this person. Let it go.
U r absolutely right! It's gone!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">