• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dell Laptop Saga Part II - Need Input Please

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mark1210

What is the name of your state? TX

About a month ago I purchased a Dell notebook computer online and was charged appropriately. 2 weeks later I was credited for the charges. I called Dell and notified them numerous times that I was improperly credited and that I wanted to return the notebook because I couldn't get XP to work on it after removing Vista. I have the case numbers of my attempts. They were unable to match up the refund I already receieved and their system indicated that the notebook I have didn't exist. Fast forward to today...I get a call from Dell stating that they improperly credited my card and that they have been unable to reauthroize the same method of payment (I was afraid this would occur and closed that credit card). I spoke to the collections lady and informed her that I notified Dell numerous times that I was improperly credited and that I was unable to return the laptop because they couldn't find my information and issue a RMA. The lady refused to take the laptop back now because its out of the 30 day return policy. She is demanding I provide another credit card so the charges can be re-charged.

What are my options here? I gave her the case numbers and she said I should have kept escalating until it was resolved. Seems like thats something Dell needs to address with better recordkeeping and credit practices. Somehow I assume I'll be liable..I didn't want a free laptop, I didn't want the laptop at all and the improper credit.

Last edited:

ForFun

I was unable to return the laptop because they couldn't find my information and issue a RMA. The lady refused to take the laptop back now because its out of the 30 day return policy.
Is Dell admitting that you tried to return it, but that you were unable to because it would not provide you with the RMA? If so, then I'd say it's on them. If you did not follow the return procedure, then it's on you.

Write Dell a letter and explain why it is Dell's fault. Include the reference numbers. Offer to return the computer immediately. Ultimately, Dell will have to sue you for the funds, or it could hand your account over to a collection agency (more likely outcome), who will then ruin your credit report. Of course, you could always take legal action yourself.

moburkes

We told him in his first post (and, Mark, there's no need to start a new thread when you can simply add to the old one) that Dell would eventually charge him back once the laptop wasn't returned. Now, he's saying that he cancelled his card so they couldn't charge him for the laptop that he never returned?:confused: :eek:

Here is the other post:

Two weeks ago I placed an online order through Dell's website, for around $1800.00. On Monday I called Dell to inform them that the laptop doesn't meet my needs and I may return it and would like a RMA number just in case. They provided me with a RMA number and a label I could print via e-mail to return the notebook. The very next day I had a credit post to my checking account for the laptop and the notebook wasn't even mailed off or received by them!

I called on Wednesday to inform them that I recevied a credit when I shouldn't have since I haven't mailed the notebook, I may even keep the notebook I just wanted the RMA incase. They are unable to see the credit and cannot reverse it. So now I have two options the way I see it:

1. Mail the notebook in (if I no longer want it) and receive an additional credit
2. Keep the notebook (if I decide I want it afterall) and then I still have the funds in my account that aren't mine.

***********Now, all of a sudden, he didn't get an RMA number.

My concern is that a week, two weeks, a month etc goes by and they just dip into my account and take money out. Can they do that?

Thanks!

BL

Another option is to file a Complaint with your Attorney General's Office of consumer Affairs , and provide all information . This method may take up to 2-3 months for a response , and that agency can only try to resolve it , unless there is a pattern for them to get involved in .

moburkes

Another option is to file a Complaint with your Attorney General's Office of consumer Affairs , and provide all information . This method may take up to 2-3 months for a response , and that agency can only try to resolve it , unless there is a pattern for them to get involved in .
An option for what? He received the RMA number, but never returned the laptop.

mark1210

That is correct, an RMA was issued twice..the first RMA was cancelled because Dell decided to send me a XP recovery CD after speaking to a supervisor (Vista would not work for my applications). The XP recovery CD was missing the proper drivers for my notebook and thats when the second request came for a RMA (for me to just return the entire thing) which they issued but later retracted. Upon explaining the situation to Dell they could no longer issue another RMA because my notebook couldn't be located in the system. They cancelled the second RMA because the first RMA went through and appeared to have been received.

ForFun

That is correct, an RMA was issued twice..the first RMA was cancelled because Dell decided to send me a XP recovery CD after speaking to a supervisor (Vista would not work for my applications). The XP recovery CD was missing the proper drivers for my notebook and thats when the second request came for a RMA (for me to just return the entire thing) which they issued but later retracted. Upon explaining the situation to Dell they could no longer issue another RMA because my notebook couldn't be located in the system. They cancelled the second RMA because the first RMA went through and appeared to have been received.
I think you're outta luck. Dell can probably convincingly show that it gave you two RMA's, that you did not send the computer back, and that it appears that you were trying to keep the computer after getting a refund. You may as well pay up before your credit is ruined (for good reason).

BL

You can most likely get XP driver downloads for what you need , if your hardware is built for XP also .

It's not dells fault some of your applications won't run with vista . You should have done your homework .

TigerD

I used to manage a team working on the Dell Financial Services portfolio. So what I am about to post is how this works. What you choose to do with that is up to you.

There are two companies here:
Dell Computer Company -- The one who sold that computer
Dell Financial Services -- The one who financed it.

I know -- you didn't finance it. You paid in full. Well, if you check your records, you will see that you paid Dell Financial Services. Confusion level one -- don't worry, it will get worse.

I am going to use Dell as a reference to both companies -- I could justify it, but frankly it is either laziness or a perverse pleasure that adding another layer of confusion.

About a month ago I purchased a Dell notebook computer online and was charged appropriately. 2 weeks later I was credited for the charges. I called Dell and notified them numerous times that I was improperly credited and that I wanted to return the notebook because I couldn't get XP to work on it after removing Vista. I have the case numbers of my attempts.
1. Any time you talk to Dell or DFS representatives, you need to ask for their operator ID.
2. If you were sold a Vista computer, why is it Dell's fault you don't know how to reprogram it properly?
3. Dell doesn't just give refunds. Believe me, I know this. If you received a refund, you asked for it. Although I am shocked that you received it before the computer was returned.

They were unable to match up the refund I already receieved and their system indicated that the notebook I have didn't exist. Fast forward to today...I get a call from Dell stating that they improperly credited my card and that they have been unable to reauthroize the same method of payment (I was afraid this would occur and closed that credit card).
Why? You bought the computer. You have to pay for the computer.

I spoke to the collections lady and informed her that I notified Dell numerous times that I was improperly credited and that I was unable to return the laptop because they couldn't find my information and issue a RMA. The lady refused to take the laptop back now because its out of the 30 day return policy. She is demanding I provide another credit card so the charges can be re-charged.
You do realize that you are going to have to pay for this computer, right?

What are my options here? I gave her the case numbers and she said I should have kept escalating until it was resolved.
She is right. It takes a lot of time on the phone, but you could have resolved this. It sounds like you saw the refund before you returned the computer and decided you weren't going to return the computer after all.

Seems like thats something Dell needs to address with better recordkeeping and credit practices. Somehow I assume I'll be liable..I didn't want a free laptop, I didn't want the laptop at all and the improper credit.
1. Changing the operating system violates your warranty.
2. Once you start reprogramming your computer -- you are on your own.
3. If you receive a refund on your credit card and cancel the card to prevent a re-billing you are still responsible for debt. Their mistake doesn't absolve you of paying for the item. By taking action to prevent their correction of their mistake -- you intentionally refused payment.
4. It was your responsibility to get the RMA and ship the computer back for the refund. It sounds like Dell did everything right and you did everything wrong. Since you failed to return the computer, you have to pay for it.

DC

mark1210

Although I want to keep my mouth shut here...I can't. How can them sending me a Dell XP Recovery CD void my warranty? If that's true why in the hell would a supervisor intentionally void my warranty? I was sold a Vista Computer but was told it was Windows XP comptatible as well. Which is why I bought it. I'm shocked I got a refund without them getting their hands on the notebook as well. But I did make 3 attempts to inform them I received a refund when I shouldn't have. Because of them incorrectly refunding me, they could no longer find my system in their records and thus preventing me for properly returning the computer within the 30 day time period. Had the person who improperly credited me followed procedures I could have RMAs all night and day for 30 days. Come the 31st day I'd be SOL. I just want to get one thing straight...as I've said before I'm not trying to con anyone out of anything. Thats why I was prudent and notified them about the improper credit numerous times. I can't just mail a laptop to them and expect them to mark it as received when they can't issue a RMA because they dont' see me owning the thing. The lady at Dell can be forceful all she wants, but this notebook is all theirs. Maybe now they will take it back since I've been unable to do so on my own.

Otherwise, they can keep asking for payment. Sooner or later its bound to be escalated to someone who can do something right? Perhaps if they caught the improper credit in less than 30 days time this would be all over with.

TigerD

Otherwise, they can keep asking for payment. Sooner or later its bound to be escalated to someone who can do something right?
Nope. They will assign you the default interest rate and add late payment fees. Then it will sent to collections.

Not the in house collections people, the real ones. And IC System isn't care. There is one answer when you start talking to them -- grab your checkbook.

It will be placed on your credit report and the account will go through the procedures -- ultimately you may well wind up being sued. And your defense that you canceled the card so they couldn't get paid isn't going to fly.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">