• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Demanding repayment plan in writing after the fact

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

myrtlnoe

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? Florida

My boyfriend of 11+ years bought me a car for $21,000 in April 2001. I had been approved for a new car loan but he insisted that he pay cash for it so that I didn't have to pay interest. I have been paying him back at $150 every two weeks which is directly deposited into his savings account from my paycheck. I have not missed any payments and I have my check stubs to prove it. However, our relationship is now on the skids and I am seriously thinking about moving back to my midwestern hometown to be closer to my 79 y.o. house-bound mother and all the rest of my family as well. My boyfriend now wants me to sign a promissory note stating that I will pay him back at the payments I'm paying him now but more importantly he wants to add a clause that I cannot take the car out of state and a clause that if I miss one payment, period, for any reason, he can either take the car or demand payment at once. The title is in my name as well as the registration, tags, and insurance. There has never been anything in writing between us. It was all verbal. He has given me five days to sign the note or he is taking me to court to demand payment in full. Can he take me to court to make me sign a promissory note that outlines the terms he's demanding? Thanks for any advice....this is really really bothering me.

D

dadrummer

Considering the "messyness" of this relationship in the long run you will be much better off borrowing the money and paying the boyfriend off. Even though he cannot change the rules of the game after it has started (his current stipulations) you will be much better off paying the guy for the car and getting him out of your life. You have close to $4000 equity, if not more, so you should have no problem obtaining a loan for the balance.
Cut the ties!! Poof, be gone!!

Good luck!!

M

myrtlnoe

I tried that and how I wish it were that easy. However, my debt ratio has skyrocketed and I was turned down for the loan I applied for last month for that very reason. Now I don't know what to do.....

HomeGuru

If you have sole title to the vehicle and bf is not listed as lienholder, tell him to pound sand.
If he takes you to court, just restate your verbal agreement and do not agree to any new terms and conditions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">