• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Demotion

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ddt

What is the name of your state? Florida
I was recently demoted for not being a "team player" and with this demotion my hours were cut from 38 for the week to 24. I am also under a non-compete contract and if i leave i can't get a job like this for 6 months after leaving. I was hired as a full time employee and if my hours start to look like this every week is there anything i can legally do short of quitting and waiting out the 6 month term?
Thank You
DDT

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You mean, is there a way to use the law to force your employer to put you back in your old job and prohibit him from cutting your hours?

No, there isn't.

ddt

What about getting out of my non-compete clause. I read the law and it says that they are only enforceable if they meet certain conditions such as me possessing trade secrets, having substantial relationships with clients, and extensive training. I sell cellular phones for a third party franchise inside of a local mall. With my understanding i don't really fall into any of these categories.

After reading a bunch of posts on this forum i decided to read Florida statutes and it is very surprising and upsetting lack of rights we have. I'm not guaranteed a lunch break by law but if they don't provide me with a chair they are at risk of getting a misdemeanor charge brought upon them.

Last edited:

ddt

Also i appreciate you guys and girls who come on this forum and answer our questions.
Thank You

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Since I have not read your non-compete, I can't comment on it. But nothing in the non-compete is likely to change my first answer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">