• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Den wall caveing in

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

buckspc

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Ca.
We have a wall in our back den that is built into a hill up to the windows at waist level. After a big storm in Feb. we noticed that he wall was leaning in a couple of inches, now is about 3 inches, you can see it by eyeballing it from the side. To make a long story short, I called the ins co. on Jun. 1st to report it and file a claim. So far they sent a const. co. out to tear open the wall to see whats going on. The const. co. stripped off all the paneling and took pictures. They put back just plywood after stripping the wall paneling off and throwing it away, leaving all the windows unsealed and big spaces everywhere, looks like a barn wall now. Now after that the ins. co. sents an engineer to look and take pictures, that was July 7th, and that is the last I have heard from ins. co. except a letter saying that they are making a determination if coverage will be given and will contact me withing 30 days. Why would they not cover this loss? It happened during a storm with heavy wind. The adjuster said that dryroot, termites or earth movement are not covered, none of which was found that I could see when the wall was opened up. Could anyone advise me as to what I should do next. Wall needs to be fixed before rainy season starts in Oct. or Nov.? Any advice, Buck

PS, How could they tear up my wall and put it back like they did and then not pay for fixing it? Looks like they are dragging this out to try to avoid paying to me.

Happy Trails

tammy8 said:
The storm caused the earth to move therefore your claim is denied due to earth movement.
I agree that is most likely what they will come back with. But I would still ask the insurance company why they left it in the state they did. Tell them you don't want the plywood you want your paneling.

B

buckspc

Den Wall

You were both right, got an email today saying claim is denied, details will be mailed to me in letter form. I feel like a bomb droped on me as we had an estimate at $50.000. only paid $32,000. for the whole house 30 years ago. I am sick, buck

Happy Trails

buckspc said:
You were both right, got an email today saying claim is denied, details will be mailed to me in letter form. I feel like a bomb droped on me as we had an estimate at $50.000. only paid $32,000. for the whole house 30 years ago. I am sick, buck
**You need to shop around for other contractors. That estimate sounds way to high. This time of year the contractors are extremely busy, and will throw high estimates around because they really don't have the time to do the job. But if the bid would have been excepted they would find the time. Not really knowing the specific material that needs replacement, the length of the wall ect... (But if it is a normal 2x6 stud construction, a wall aprox. 12 ' long) and the contractor would have to relieve the pressure on the outside... $50,000 is crazy. You could build a modest home for that.

Shop around. :)

B

buckspc

Den Wall

The wall is 32' by 4', also the retaining wall behind it is what is causing the problem, giving way pushing into the room wall, rotten and weak. Both wall and retaining wall needs to be replaced with new drainage for the retaining wall. Also new double pane windows and code upgrades. Some one told me to get a contractor to do it without a permit and I would save 10 to 15 k on that alone. Letter from ins. did not come today, it is supposed to have an est. for the repairs included, by the contractor that torn the wall apart in the first place, they were recommended by the ins. co. I did check them out on the contractors state board and they are an old reliable co with no complaints against they for many years, so will have to wait and see what their est. is for the repairs. Buck

Last edited:
buckspc said:
Some one told me to get a contractor to do it without a permit and I would save 10 to 15 k on that alone. Buck
Please tell me you didn't seriously consider that advice? If a contractor offered to do it without a permit, I wouldn't let them within 2 miles of my house.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">