• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Denial of STD insurance after payroll deductions of STD insurance.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

light_tim

What is the name of your state? Illinois
Jan.28 completed forms & rqstd STD insurance to commence.
Feb.4/5 - Rcvd n Completed statement of health from Metlife
Feb.27 - STD deduction 1st appeared on paycheck stub
March 15 - Diagnosed as pregnant!
April 9 - Rcvd Physical Exam rqst from Metlife
April 26 - Submitted completed exam from obstetrician.
May 15 - Paycheck showed STD credit
May 17 - Rcvd letter from Metlife with STD denial due to pregnancy.

I initally applied for STD when I was not pregnant. I payed for the insurance, I assumed I was approved.

Is there anyway I can appeal this? Or is it a waste of time?

ALawyer

Usually STD is provided by the employer without deductions as such. And what puzzles me is the courts have ruled that an employer can not treat disability caused by pregnancy different from other disability. So my sense is you bought OPTIONAL, individual disability thru payroll deduction, probably via worksite marketing.

What you bought is the policy, with any and all of its limitations and conditions. If pregnancy related disability is not covered, or requires a waiting period, then you're not covered under its terms. If it is not an employer provided coverage, that's probably very legal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">