• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Denied accidental death benefit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lisa508

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MA

I have been denied the accidental death benefit from my deceased husband's life insurance policy. Low levels of THCA were found in his urine (5 ng/ml).
Policy limitations state: Benefits are not payable for any loss to which a contributing cause is:
(1) Voluntary use of drugs; except when prescribed by a physician

In my research I have found that this level in his "blood" would signify drug use within 2 hours of his death. But his blood was not tested, only urine. From what I have found, urine levels over 50 ng/ml only suggest past use and cannot determine a time frame. I know for a fact that he was not smoking the day of his fatal crash. I don't consider the levels in his urine to be a "contributing factor". With levels that low I have even read it could have been caused from second hand smoke inhalation. How should I pursue this? I have the right to appeal their decision in writing. Should I see how that goes before hiring a lawyer?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">